Why Learning about Human Rights?
Today’s society comes with increased obligations and challenges for nations, their international relations, in order to understand and be able to intervene to prevent violations of the human rights, and to offer remedies, reparation and guarantees of non recurrence for the victims.
Participants will after the course be able to critically reflect, in dialogue with others, on human rights in a legal, political, and international perspective and on their role in contemporary society. The course further gives an opportunity to engage and interact with representatives from civil society.
Human Rights and the UN-Mechanisms
– Describe the content and function of basic UN-treaties in human rights and account for the relationship between international and national law.
– Identify relevant legal texts in the human rights area and tie it in a logical and coherent manner to individual cases.
– Identify, give examples of and assess potential conflicts and dilemmas in international treaties on human rights.
Human Rights, Responsibility to Protect, and International Affairs
– Understand the concept of Responsibility to Protect and mediation in conflicts and the international community’s responsibility in prevention of atrocities in conflict areas.
– Analyze the role of the state in the realization of human rights and the relation between human rights and democracy, states’ capacity and the development of state sovereignty, as well as human rights as principles within the international community.
– Analyze political dimensions of human rights, such as reasons for failures in fulfillment and for violations of rights, and institutions that are important for rights fulfillment.
Competence and Capacity
The Edelstam Institute has a broad network of experienced facilitators from a great number of organizations and institutions around the world; politicians, students, academics, diplomats, representatives from NGO’s and the United Nations, with their engagement, practical experience, international knowledge and faith in humanity’s cause.